- Lexical elements (e.g., roots, stems, bases)
- Composition (e.g. , compounding, polysynthesis)
- Morphology (e.g., prefixing, suffixing, infixing, ablaut, reduplication, extrusion)
- Covert structure
- Word categories (e.g., gender, "parts of speech")
- Modulus categories (e.g., number, tense, comparison, voice, aspect, mode, case)
- Syntax (e.g., intra- and intersentential linkage)
- End and initial sentence marking
- Minimal and abbreviated sentences; etc.
Outline of Cultural Materials. George P. Murdock, et al., eds. New Haven, Conn. Human Relations Area Files, Inc. 1961. xxv, 164 p.